Programming Language for Games, part 3

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 1 13:33:12 PDT 2014

Walter Bright:

> * for over an array in D:
>     foreach (it; results) ...

D is better here, because it doesn't introduce magically named
variables.

> * D does the check function thing using compile time function
> execution to check template arguments.

This is not nearly enough. I have written a lot about this.

> * D also has full compile time function execution - it's a very
> heavily used feature. It's mainly used for metaprogramming,
> introspection, checking of template arguments, etc. Someone has
> written a ray tracer that runs at compile time in D. D's
> compile time execution doesn't go as far as running external
> functions in DLLs.

His "compile time execution" is different and probably better:
the whole language is available because it uses an intermediate
bytecode. This makes it more flexible and avoids the need of
having essentially two different implementations of the language.

> The ascii_map function will work, however.

The ASCII map example doesn't work in D because of reasons I have
explained a lot in past posts.

Bye,
bearophile