Programming Language for Games, part 3

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 1 16:04:02 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 1 November 2014 at 22:50:27 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> However JVM/.NET languages with a grain of C++ salt for
> JNI/PInvoke, are what my employer and our customers care about,
> so I can't justify to our customers any alternatives.

I don't think anyone would say that C/C++ would be alternatives
to JVM/.NET. Which is what I find a bit frustrating about D
forums. Whenever system level programming is discussed people are
not really arguing from a performance perspective, but then I
don't think they really need C/C++/D…

Anyway, I believe you can turn on bound checks with some
C-compilers if you want it, but I don't think anyone who is
looking for performance want them in release.

Related to game programming:

I noticed Jonathan being very negative to the web and web
programming. Which is not without merits, but the funny thing is
that the only thing that keeps the web from being a solid gaming
platform is the lack of payment service that has a very low
threshold.

I see some clear benefits with browsers/javascript's ability to
compile directly to machine language on the fly. Just see what
the demo scene are doing with code generators. So yeah, the code
is slower, but perhaps not skillful use of it. Maybe we'll see 4K
demo compos for asm.js and WebGL.

Btw, I read the Oberon07 spec the other day and interestingly
Wirth included add/subtract with carry.  So Oberon has an edge
there… :)