Programming Language for Games, part 3

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 2 01:22:06 PDT 2014

On 11/2/2014 12:06 AM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Sunday, 2 November 2014 at 06:39:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> This is not a solution. C has successfully resisted all attempts to add bounds
>> checking.
>
> That was a student project, but the paper presented an overview of techniques
> which is why I linked to it.

Sorry, I had presumed you intended the links to be practical, workable solutions.

> A realistic solution is probably at 10-50 times
> slower on regular hardware and is suitable for debugging, and you can probably
> improve it a lot using global semantic analysis.
>
> To quote the Nasa paper's conclusion:
>
> «We have shown in this paper that the array bound checking of large C programs
> can be performed with a high level of precision (around 80%) in nearly the same
> time as compilation. The key to achieve this result is the specialization of the
> analysis towards a particular family of software.»
>
> So no, C has not resisted all attempts at adding bounds checking.
>
> People are doing it.

10 to 50 times slower is not a solution. If your app can stand such a
degradation, it would be better off written in Python. If there was a practical
solution for C, it likely would have been incorporated into clang and gcc.