Programming Language for Games, part 3

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 2 01:39:26 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 2 November 2014 at 08:22:08 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> 10 to 50 times slower is not a solution. If your app can stand
> such a degradation, it would be better off written in Python.
> If there was a practical solution for C, it likely would have
> been incorporated into clang and gcc.

Python is a dynamic languageā€¦ so I don't think it is more stable
than C at runtime, but the consequences are less severe.

For a practical solution, this paper suggests just checking
bounds when you write to an array as a trade off:

http://www4.comp.polyu.edu.hk/~csbxiao/paper/2005/ITCC-05.pdf

There are also some proprietary C compilers for embedded
programming that claim to support bound checks, but I don't know
how far they go or if they require language
extensions/restrictions.