Programming Language for Games, part 3

Nick Treleaven via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 3 10:03:18 PST 2014

On 02/11/2014 20:33, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/2/2014 12:12 PM, bearophile wrote:
>> I think the free mixing of signed and unsigned integral values is not
>> a good
>> idea in D.
>
> It's simply not workable to put a wall between them. Every proposal for
> it has entailed various unfortunate, ugly, and arbitrary consequences.

We need warnings like gcc has:

"-Wsign-compare
     Warn when a comparison between signed and unsigned values could
produce an incorrect result when the signed value is converted to unsigned.

-Wconversion
     Warn for implicit conversions that may alter a value. This includes
... conversions between signed and unsigned, like unsigned ui = -1 ...
Warnings about conversions between signed and unsigned integers can be
disabled by using -Wno-sign-conversion.
"

It is really unfortunate that D is more bug-prone than gcc in this case.
There was some promising work here:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1913