Programming Language for Games, part 3

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 3 18:00:43 PST 2014

On 11/3/2014 4:49 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Don't add a warning, just make it outright illegal to assign signed to
> unsigned and vice versa unless an explicit cast is given.

This has been proposed before.

> There are no "unfortunate", "ugly", or "arbitrary" consequences here.
> Much like the recent (or not-so-recent) change of prohibiting implicit
> conversion of a pointer to bool in an if-condition, or the requirement
> of a default case in a non-final switch, or so many other improvements
> in D over C/C++, such a change will (1) make problematic code an error
> so that it will get fixed, and (2) force users to rewrite
> non-problematic code to be more self-documenting so that their intent is
> clearer. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Should be careful with analogies like that. Each case is different. Your
proposal (which has been proposed many times before) requires, as you say,
explicit casting. You are glossing over and dismissing the problems with
explicit casts, and the problems with overloading, etc.