Template Instantiation Bug

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 4 13:48:15 PST 2014

On 11/4/2014 9:51 AM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> given the
> output of Transform, the compiler cannot deduce what the input of Transform was
> EVEN IF THE TEMPLATE IS AS SIMPLE AS THIS ONE.

To answer a question not asked, why doesn't the compiler see the simple case and
handle it?

The problem is that this becomes a special case in the language specification,
making the language harder to understand. Cue bug reports of people confused
about why the simpler cases work and the more complex ones do not, and they
overall get a negative impression of the language. And I don't blame them.