GSOC Summer 2015 - Second call for Proposals

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 4 19:54:22 PST 2014

This is my second Call for Proposals for the 2015 Google Summer
of Code. Anyone interested in mentoring, or who has good idea's
for a project for 2015 please post here.  So far I have the
following people who have expressed interest in mentoring:

Mentor's with specific projects in mind:

Mentor                         Project Area(s)
Amaury Sechet (Deadalnix):     SDC - D Compiler as a library
Martin Nowak	               ARM Support and Bare Metal D
Iain Buclaw		       GDC

I have a pretty good set of specific idea's from Deadalnix, but I
could use more specific project ideas for Martin and Iain.

A few others have volunteered to mentor, and have given general
areas of interest, but I don't really have specific project
suggestions from:

Andrei Alexandrescu   Phobos
Rikki Cattermole      Web Development
Russel Winder         Phobos/QML: std.parallelism, std.benchmark
Jacob Ovrum           std.i18n
Jens Mueller          std.socket, std.log, std.benchmark,
std.numeric.matrix

Project Ideas (Without a Mentor)

boost::log
boost::program_options
A parser generator on par with antlr4
std.stream replacement / buffers
std.xml
SSL implementation
D Game? on Mobile platforms
Improved Garbage Collection (improve compare existing efforts)
Move some code.dlang.org libs into std.experimental
std.event (working with fibers)
std.fiber
D message passing across processes (openmp)
OGI for D
Support for paths in string imports on Windows
Automatic Reference Counting
Finish export/shared
std.smid into review queue
vibe.d (regenerate templates without full recompilation)
D to JS compiler
DDL for D2

A few other questions for the community (and possible mentors).

1. I was thinking that as a way of making our idea's/mentor's
lists to stand out I would like to post short Bio's on each
mentor - pictures would be nice too, but maybe some potential
mentors would be put off by that.  If possible I would also like
to post a link to the mentor's talks at DConf (espcially if the
talk is related to the project idea(s)).   This should set our
idea's list apart from most I have seen so far.  Of course I
would only post a bio/picture with the potential mentor's consent.

2. I am supposed to have a backup GSOC administrator, in case I
pass away unexpectedly or become otherwise incapacitated.  Any
volunteers !

3. We also should have backup mentors - if you feel comfortable
serving as a backup mentor for one of the posted project ideas
then please let me know.

4. I am supposed to summarize our involvement and the successes
and challenges of our participation for previous years, and  list
our pass/fail rate for each year.  Can anyone on the forum fill
me in on some of this information, especially if you have
mentored in the past, or better yet are a past GSOC student still
involved with D.