GSOC Summer 2015 - Second call for Proposals

Jens Mueller via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 5 02:32:29 PST 2014

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> This is my second Call for Proposals for the 2015 Google Summer of
> Code. Anyone interested in mentoring, or who has good idea's for a
> project for 2015 please post here.  So far I have the following
> people who have expressed interest in mentoring:
>
> Mentor's with specific projects in mind:
>
> Mentor                         Project Area(s)
> Amaury Sechet (Deadalnix):     SDC - D Compiler as a library
> Martin Nowak	               ARM Support and Bare Metal D
> Iain Buclaw		       GDC
>
> I have a pretty good set of specific idea's from Deadalnix, but I
> could use more specific project ideas for Martin and Iain.
>
> A few others have volunteered to mentor, and have given general
> areas of interest, but I don't really have specific project
> suggestions from:
>
> Andrei Alexandrescu   Phobos
> Rikki Cattermole      Web Development
> Russel Winder         Phobos/QML: std.parallelism, std.benchmark
> Jacob Ovrum           std.i18n
> Jens Mueller          std.socket, std.log, std.benchmark,
> std.numeric.matrix

Remove std.log from that list (as it is almost finished by Robert).
I still mentor for improving std.socket (though I would need community
input from what the community likes to be changed (preferably though
issues.dlang.org)) and std.benchmark (together with Russel if he
wants to share the work), and still interested in having
std.numeric.matrix (I believe others too).
Arguably the descriptions on http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2014_Ideas are
very short.

<snip more ideas />

> A few other questions for the community (and possible mentors).
>
> 1. I was thinking that as a way of making our idea's/mentor's lists
> to stand out I would like to post short Bio's on each mentor -
> pictures would be nice too, but maybe some potential mentors would
> be put off by that.  If possible I would also like to post a link to
> the mentor's talks at DConf (espcially if the talk is related to the
> project idea(s)).   This should set our idea's list apart from most
> I have seen so far.  Of course I would only post a bio/picture with
> the potential mentor's consent.

Fine with me.

> 2. I am supposed to have a backup GSOC administrator, in case I pass
> away unexpectedly or become otherwise incapacitated.  Any volunteers
> !
>
> 3. We also should have backup mentors - if you feel comfortable
> serving as a backup mentor for one of the posted project ideas then
> please let me know.
>
> 4. I am supposed to summarize our involvement and the successes and
> challenges of our participation for previous years, and  list our
> pass/fail rate for each year.  Can anyone on the forum fill me in on
> some of this information, especially if you have mentored in the
> past, or better yet are a past GSOC student still involved with D.

I believe you should get access to the past GSOC's on
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2015?PageSpeed=noscript
Andrei should have access to these. You should find there everything.

I'd like to add that I firmly believe that we should strive for a short
list of important projects than a long list of anything. I say no more
than seven projects that the community likes to see addressed that allow
students getting involved in D. Make it few but exceptional strong.
It's fine to brainstorm now and cut down later. But I want to see that
cut down before polishing the project's description etc.

Thank you very much for the effort you are putting into it - invaluable.

Jens