Dub integrated into the compiler?

Jason den Dulk via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 6 20:18:59 PST 2014

On Monday, 27 October 2014 at 02:33:18 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> I don't think this is a new idea but it would be pretty awesome.
>
> So the idea is that the compiler could check dub for libraries
> that it can't find and automatically download and integrate
> them. It would essentially make all of dub seem like it was a
> part of the standard lib and make integrating dub into projects
> seamless.

[snip]

> Cons:
> Could degrade perceived quality of stdlib if bad dub packages
> got in.
> Would mean some things could not be compiled without an
> internet connection.

Cons:

  - Breaks modularity (each thing should do one thing well).
  - Puts pressure on people to use Dub who would prefer not to.
  - Adds complexity to an already highly complex system.
  - Inhibits the development of a "better-than-Dub" alternative.
  - Inhibits the development of alternative compilers.

Regards
Jason