DerelictBgfx not shipping core libs.

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 6 21:33:09 PST 2014

On Thursday, 6 November 2014 at 19:12:37 UTC, olivier henley
wrote:

> 1. Windows is a good start.
> 2. Nobody said you had to provide all of them.
> 3. We can help. Just myself, I could provide Linux and Windows.
> It makes for about 80% of all computers in the world.

If you would like to compile and host Linux and Windows binaries
for all Derelict packages somewhere, go for it. I'm not going to.

> Playing cat and mouse here. For a show case, a prototype or any
> other normal use, nobody cares if its compiled to use doubles
> or floats. Choose doubles to stay on the safe side and the guy
> who's really needy for floats will roll his own build of ODE.
>
> It's all common sense.

Then perhaps my sense is uncommon. People *will* care if it uses
floats or doubles. They make that decision when they are setting
up the build process for their apps and they will need the
appropriate binary. If I provide only one type, I'm alienating
those who want the other. Better for everyone to visit the
project site of the C library and get what they want from there.

> I have noooooo problem building the original packages but I
> definitely prefer having sex with my girlfriend.

And you suppose I have nothing better to do than to compile
multiple binaries for over a dozen projects every time they put
out a new release or, as in the case of Bgfx, update their repo?
My time is rather more valuable to me than that.

> I just don't see the point to not share the most common target
> dependencies libs.

Because it's beyond the scope of the project. I will not
distribute any precompiled C binaries with any Derelict packages.
Even if I had copious amounts of free time and a room full of
computers running multiple operating systems, I wouldn't do it.
When the documentation is complete, Derelict users will have all
the information they need to go out and get their hands on the
libraries they need. Beyond that, they are on their own.