On heap segregation, GC optimization and @nogc relaxing

Orvid King via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 11 19:01:24 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 02:34:55 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to get back on the subject of ownership, lifetime and
> propose some solution, but before, propose to state the problem
> in a way that haven't seen before (even if I have no doubt some
> have came to the same conclusion in the past).
>
> The problem at hand is double: memory management and thread
> safety. Number one has been a hot topic for ages, and number 2
> has become very over the past years, to the widespreading of
> multicores CPU.
>
> The problem at hand here is ownership of data. There are 3
> roads you can go about it:
>  - immutability and GC. Effectively, these 2 technique allow
> you to get rid of ownership. There are advantages and drawbacks
> i'm going to discuss later.
>  - Being unsafe and rely on convention. This is the C++ road
> (and a possible road in D). It allow to implement almost any
> wanted scheme, but come at great cost for the developer.
>  - Annotations. This is the Rust road. It also come a great
> cost for the developer, as some schemes may be non trivial to
> express granted the type system, but, contrary to the C++ road,
> is safe.
>
> These approach all have some very nice things going on for
> them, but also some killer scenarios.
>
> Immutability+GC allow to have safety while keeping interfaces
> simple. That is of great value. It also come with some nice
> goodies, in the sense that is it easy and safe to shared data
> without bookkeeping, allowing one to fit more in cache, and
> reduce the amount of garbage created. Most text processing apps
> fall into this category and this is why D is that good at them.
> Another big goodies is that many lock free algorithm become
> possible. Once you remove the need for bookkeeping of ownership
> many operations can be implemented in an atomic manner.
> Additionally, it is possible to implement various GC
> optimization on immutable heap, which make the GC generally
> more efficient. But the cost is also real. For some use case,
> this mean having a large amount of garbage generated (Carmack
> wrote a piece on haskell were he mention the disastrous effect
> that having a framebuffer immutable would have: you'd have to
> clone it everytime you draw in it, which is a no go). GC also
> tend to cause unpredictable runtime characteristics, which
> programs with real time constraint can have hard time to deal
> with.
>
> Relying on convention has the advantage that any scheme can be
> implemented without constraint, while keeping interface simple.
> The obvious drawback is that it is time consuming and error
> prone. It also make a lot of things unclear, and dev choose the
> better safe than sorry road. That mean excessive copying to
> make sure one own the data, which is wasteful (in term of work
> for the copy itself, garbage generation and cache pressure). If
> this must be an option locally for system code, it doesn't
> [...]

I think a combination of the C++'s standard library's approach
and Rust's approach would actually be the best possible. If we
were to follow C++'s strategy, I think it would be important to
make sure that it wouldn't require specifically adding template
parameters and constraints, and instead allow the use of a
concept-like system. I think that being able to default the
allocator parameter to the GC, provided the current method is not
@nogc, would also be a good idea. I think that if C++'s approach
were taken it would also be very beneficial to allow a syntax
such as `auto obj = new MyClass() with allocator`, and `delete
obj with allocator`. I do think that the definition of @nogc
would have to be slightly expanded though, so mean that any
values that are allocated with a given allocator are also freed
with the given allocator before returning. To connect back with
your proposal and allow even more to be @nogc, an owned(MyClass,
allocator) object would be allowable to be returned in an @nogc
function. This would allow transfer of the ownership of the data
and responsibility of deletion to the caller, provided that the
caller is @nogc. If the caller is @nogc and fails to free the
memory, DMD should produce an error. If the caller is not @nogc,
then DMD would say nothing, and assume that the allocator used to
allocate the object will do the cleanup.

This would allow far more situations to be accounted for by the
allocation system without needing a GC, while still allowing
programs that want to to use the GC. @nogc would simply mean that
no garbage is produced, it would not make a guarantee of what
allocator was used to perform the allocation. @nogc would also
mean that no allocators, other than the ones passed in by the
user, would be used to perform the allocations. This allows the
current definition of @nogc to still be present, while opening
the scope of @nogc up for use in a much larger variety of
situations.