On heap segregation, GC optimization and @nogc relaxing

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 12 00:55:28 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 12 November 2014 at 08:38:14 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> That changes over time. The current focus in upcoming hardware
> is on:
>
> 1. Heterogenous architecture with high performance co-processors
>
> 2. Hardware support for transactional memory
>
> Intel CPUs might have buffered transactional memory within 5
> years.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but there is nothing actionable in your
comment. You are just throwing more and more into the pot until
nobody know what there is in. But ultimately, the crux of the
problem is the thing quoted above.

  1. No that do not change that much over time. The
implementations details are changing, recent schemes become more
complex to accommodate heterogeneous chips, but it is irrelevant
here. What I've mentioned is true for all of them, and has been
for at least 2 decades by now. There is no sign that this is
gonna change.
  2. The transactional memory thing is completely orthogonal to
the subject at hand so, as the details of implementation of
modern chip, this doesn't belong here. In addition, the whole CPU
industry is backpedaling on the transactional memory concept.
That is awesome on the paper, but it didn't worked.

There is only 2 way to achieve good design. You remove useless
things until there is obviously nothing wrong, or you add more
and more until there is nothing obviously wrong. I won't follow
you down the second road, so please stay on track.