Splitting stdio, etc.

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 12 07:34:35 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 03:25:40PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> So the stdio splitup would probably get the biggest gain by making
> sure std.format isn't imported unless the user specifically uses it
> (making sure it is localally imported in writefln but not writeln
> would probably do it, since they are templates, no need to split the
> module for this).
>
> Actually, looking at the code, std.format is already a local import,
> but it is in a plain function in some places, like the private void
> writefx. Why is that function even there?

It's a legacy function that is on the way out. If it hasn't been
deprecated yet, it should be, and it should be deleted within the next
release or two.

> std.format is also imported in module scope in std.conv.... which is
> imported in std.traits.
>
> What a mess.
>
> Bottom line, we shouldn't split up modules for its own sake. It should
> be done as a step toward the larger goal of cleaning up the import
> web.

Yeah, Ilya has been working on cleaning up imports in Phobos. Things
should improve in the next release. Hopefully.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who can count in binary, and those who can't.