Microsoft now giving away VS 2013

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 13 01:36:17 PST 2014

On 13 November 2014 10:57, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/12/microsoft-makes-visual-studio-free-for-small-teams/
>
> This is good news for D! It lowers the bar for writing 64 bit D code on
> Windows, and it also enables us to abandon support for versions of VS prior
> to 2013.

Many, many corporate VS users get stuck on legacy versions of VS for a
very long time. We still use VS2010 at work for instance, with no plan
to upgrade.
It would be a shame to lose legacy VS support, but I think the focus
should certainly emphasise these future releases.

A really nice start would be supporting the modern VS debugging stuff,
for instance, the latest VS can track variables in registers for
debugging release code... that would be a massive win! :)
(Note: We should also be able to inspect class members, and step
through code with scope's properly... so I won't hold my breath >_<)