Microsoft now giving away VS 2013

ZombineDev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 13 15:29:41 PST 2014

Well D is still a much better language. I have used C#
professionally for about 2 years and in my opinion it invites
writing over-architected OOP with little regard about efficiency.
My experience is based on working in the code-base of my old job,
reading forums, books and so on.

Just look at these "beautiful" pieces of art:

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/#PresentationFramework/Framework/System/Windows/Controls/DataGrid.cs
^ just try to find were the performance bottleneck is and
refactor it :D

And some other elegant pieces:
https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/blob/master/src/System.Numerics.Vectors/src/System/Numerics/Register.cs

https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/blob/master/src/System.Numerics.Vectors/src/System/Numerics/Vector.cs

^ Without templates and CTFE the power to weight ratio is pretty
low.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Here is a somewhat
large, performance oriented project. This an open-source
implementation of the classic C&C RTS games:
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA

I really don't want to go back to .NET. It's not about that
Microsoft is evil, anti-FOSS or anything like that.
I just really like the way D allows me to express my intent and
how flexible it is. It is the overall feeling I get from the
community that people want to use D to write elegant, yet highly
optimal code. And when there is a problem preventing this (like
for some people the GC) a great effort is made to improve the
situation (e.g. http://wiki.dlang.org/DIPs, etc. )

My impression is that the average .net developer is scared by the
"low-level stuff" and wants these stuff to be magically taken
care of. I haven't seen anyone that wants to get rid of the GC
and even fewer are trying to be proactive and to find a solution
(like @nogc, RC strings or exceptions in Dland).

Also a large portion C# devs are highly dependent on Microsoft's
politics. Like when the development of Silverlight  platform was
canceled. It was a huge blow to the .NET community and there was
no solution (even third-party) so everyone just the left the
sinking ship.