Microsoft now giving away VS 2013

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 14 12:22:25 PST 2014

14-Nov-2014 22:38, Paulo Pinto пишет:
> On Friday, 14 November 2014 at 18:30:54 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> 14-Nov-2014 13:48, Paulo Pinto пишет:
>>>
>>> It is primitive compared to modern language standards, but companies see
>>> business value in it. Even Microsoft has joined the party with Azure
>>> support for Docker.
>>
>> Frankly this doesn't have anything to do with Go as in langauge. For
>> instance, just because I use tools written in Perl doesn't mean I
>> endorse Perl.
>
> Yes you do, this is economy 101.

I guess that's some course number, maybe in USA.

Anyhow to the question at hand: I would switch to anything else on the
first sight and wouldn't notice the difference. It's just a
_happenstance_ (accidental).

Something folks frequently mistake for other qualities like maturity,
stability or even "the tool for the job". Humans tend to mistake other
fundamental qualities in pretty much the same way making conclusions
based on emotional qualities/quantities like:
1. if it's really old project it must be stable and well tested
2. this is the new library it must be faster then all of the old ones
3. if A has less LOCs then B, it can't possibly deliver more features
and so on ...

Nice thing that any of this can go both ways depending on whom you ask,
but most would provided a strong opinion w/o ever going down to exact
_facts_ of specific project(s).

> By using tools based on Perl you are creating a market perception that
> it is worth creating tools in Perl.

The perception is the key word. People mistake shiny stuff for gold
because of it, when one stops thinking is the moment where things like
"perception" and "general sentiment" start to creep in.

> So others that do endorse the
> language, will see their skills being requested to created more tools,
> which increases the visibility of the language and rises the interest to
> learn it.

Good point and it also answers the main question about D - to become
popular there need to be tools written in D. In fact I wrote a couple at
work, simple beasts that do one thing and do it well.

Problem is we need OpenSource and General Purpose. For instance a
general purpose build tool might be a killer app. There are plenty of
other good things to write in D but efficient batch processing tools/CLI
are the current sweet spot (IMHO).

--
Dmitry Olshansky