Why is `scope` planned for deprecation?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 15 23:44:47 PST 2014

On 11/15/2014 11:14 PM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 16.11.2014 um 05:51 schrieb Walter Bright:
>> What I find odd about the progress of C++ (11, 14, 17, ...) is that
>> there has been no concerted effort to make the preprocesser obsolete.
> What about templates, compile time reflection, modules and compile time code
> execution?

Competent and prominent C++ coding teams still manage to find complex and
tangled uses for the preprocessor that rely on the most obscure details of how
the preprocessor works, and then hang their whole codebase on it.

I find it baffling, but there it is. I've made some effort to get rid of
preprocessor use in the DMD source.

> No need for the pre-processor other than textual inclusion and conditional
> compilation.

Andrei, Herb, and I made a proposal to the C++ committee to introduce 'static
if'. It was promptly nailed to the wall and executed by firing squad. :-)