Why is `scope` planned for deprecation?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 17 14:03:49 PST 2014

On 11/17/2014 1:08 PM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> I've been saying that for SOME OPERATIONS they are too, and that is not without
> evidence. Just plot it out for a 65xx, 680xx, Z80 etc CPU and it becomes
> self-evident. Any system level programmer should be able to do it in a few minutes.

When designing a language data type, you don't design it for "some" operations.
You design it so that it works best most of the time, or at least let the user
decide.

You can always add a sentinel for specific cases. But C forces its use for all
strings for practical purposes. The design is backwards, and most of the time a
sentinel is the wrong choice.

BTW, I learned how to program on a 6800. I'm not ignorant of those machines. And
frankly, C is too high level for the 6800 (and the other 8 bit CPUs). The idea
that C maps well onto those processors is mistaken. Which is hardly surprising,
as C was developed for the PDP-11, a 16 bit machine.

Yes, I know that people did use C for 8 bit machines.