Why is `scope` planned for deprecation?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 18 04:18:14 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 08:28:19 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
> This is just one case, the CVE List gets updated every day and
> 90% of the issues are the usual C suspects regarding pointer
> misuse and out of bounds.

Sure, but these are not a strict language issues since the same
developers would turn off bounds-checking at the first
opportunity anyway!

Professionalism does not involve blaming the tool, it involves
picking the right tools and process for the task. Unfortunately
the IT industry has over time suffered from a lack of formal
education and immature markets. Software is considered to work
when it crash only once every 24 hours, we would not accept that
from any other utility?

I've never heard anyone in academia claim that C is anything more
than a small step up from assembler (i.e. low level), so why
allow intermediate skilled programmers to write C code if you for
the same application would not allow an excellent programmer to
write the same program in assembly (about the same risk of having
a crash). People get what they deserve.

Never blame the tool for bad management. You get to pick the tool
and the process, right? Neither the tool or testing will ensure
correct behaviour on its own. You have many factors that need to
play together (mindset, process and the tool set).

If you want a compiler that works, you're probably better off
writing it in ML than in C, but people implement it in C. Why?
Because they FEEL like it… It is not rational. It is emotional.