Why is `scope` planned for deprecation?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 18 05:50:58 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 12:02:01 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 11:15:28 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> I'd rather say that it is the industry that has
>> misappropriated C, which in my view basically was "typed
>> portable assembly" with very little builtin presumptions by
>> design.
>
> Lint was created in 1979 when it was already clear most AT&T
> developers weren't writing correct C code!

Sure, but most operating system vendors considered it a strategic
move to ensure availability of high level languages on their
mainframes. E.g. Univac provided Algol and gave a significant
rebate to the developers of Simula on the purchase of a Univac to
ensure that Simula would be available for high level programming.

>> There were alternatives such as Turbo Pascal, Modula-2/3,
>> Simula, Beta, ML, Eiffel, Delphi and many more. Yet,
>> programmers thought C was cool because it was "portable
>> assembly" and "industry standard" and "fast" and "safe bet".
>
> This was a consequence of UNIX spreading into the enterprise,
> like we
> have to endure JavaScript to target the browser, we were forced
> code in C to target UNIX.

Nobody were forced to write code in C to target anything, it was
a choice. And a choice that grew out of a focus on performance
and the fact that people still dropped down to write machine
language quit frequently. Mentality matters.

Javascript is different, since it is "the exposed VM" in the
browser, but even there you don't have to write in Javascript.
You can write in a language that compiles to javascript.