Why is `scope` planned for deprecation?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 18 07:36:57 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 14:56:42 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
> Since when do developers use a different systems programming
> language than the one sold by the OS vendor?
>
> Who has the pleasure to waste work hours writing FFI wrappers
> around SDK tools?
>
> All successful systems programming languages, even if only for
> a few years, were tied to a specific OS.

Depends on what you mean by system programming. I posit that most
programs that have been written in C are primarily application
level programs. Meaning that you could factor out the C component
as a tiny unit and write the rest in another languageā€¦ Most high
level languages provide integration with C. These things are
entirely cultural.

In the late 80s you could do the same stuff in Turbo Pascal as in
C, and integrate with asm with no problem. Lots of decent
software for MSDOS was written in TP, such as BBS server software
dealing with many connections.

On regular micros you didn't have a MMU so there was actually a
great penalty for using an unsafe language even during
development: the OS would reboot (or you would get the famous
guru meditation on Amiga). That sucked.