Would you trade 0.1% in performance for a better debugging experience?

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 18 10:49:07 PST 2014

On 11/18/14 12:03 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 13:18:10 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On 11/17/14 6:14 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>>> I proposed to build Phobos and Druntime with stack frames enabled:
>>
>> Sure, why not 3 versions of phobos/runtime in installation? Space is
>> cheap.
>
> You have to consider the combinatorial explosion of our target
> platforms, and also the impact on the size of the distribution.
>
> - In 2.066.0, phobos.lib is around 9MB.
> - *2 for x86/x64.
> - *4 for the number of supported platforms.
> - *3 for the proposed number of build configurations.

I refuse to let the fact that we package every platform's download into
one zip to be some sort of argument :) DMD is the only distribution that
I've ever seen do this.

> That comes out to over 200 MB. Might be bigger due to debug builds of
> Phobos taking more space.

I have 0 problem making the user choose his configuration at download
time. Each download should be 10MB, possibly x3 for debug and stack
frame builds.

-Steve