Why is `scope` planned for deprecation?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 18 12:56:00 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 19:42:20 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> To bring up the aviation industry again, they long ago
> recognized that "blame the pilot" and "blame the mechanics" is
> not how safe airplanes are made. They are made, in part, by
> fixing the tools so mistakes cannot happen, as even the best
> humans keep making mistakes.

Please note that I said it was a management issue. Clearly if
management equip workers with unsafe tools that is bad. But there
have always been safer tools available. It has always been
possible to do things differently. It has always been possible to
do risk assessment and adopt to it, in tools, education and
process.

I am sure the aviation industry is doing a lot better than the IT
industry!

> Blaming the tools is often appropriate.

If you are forced to use one while being asked to run for a
deadline, sure.