Why is `scope` planned for deprecation?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 18 13:12:39 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:44:35PM -0800, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 11/18/2014 12:10 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:45:13AM -0800, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >>I'm sorry to say this, but these rationalizations as to why C cannot
> >>add a trivial enhancement that takes nothing away and solves most of
> >>the buffer overflow problems leaves me shaking my head.
> >
> >What's the trivial thing that will solve most buffer overflow
> >problems?
>
> http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/cs-biggest-mistake/228701625

That's not a trivial change at all -- it will break pretty much every C
program there is out there. Just think of how much existing C code
relies on this conflation between arrays and pointers, and implicit
conversions between them.

Once you start going down that path, you might as well just start over
with a brand new language. Which ultimately leads to D. :-P

Microsoft is to operating systems & security ... what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking.