Why is `scope` planned for deprecation?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 18 13:23:06 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 19:45:12 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I'm sorry to say this, but these rationalizations as to why C
> cannot add a trivial enhancement that takes nothing away and

They can add whatever they want.

I am arguing against the position that it was a design mistake to
keep the semantic model simple and with few presumptions. On the
contrary, it was the design goal. Another goal for a language
like C is ease of implementation so that you can easily port it
to new hardware.

The original C was a very simple language. Most decent
programmers can create their own C-compiler (but not a good
optimizer).

> (C has added useless enhancements, like VLAs.)

VLAs have been available in gcc for a long time. They are not
useless, I've used them from time to time.