[OT] suggestions for a programmable drone on a budget?

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 19 15:12:30 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 at 17:42:16 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
wrote:

You've marked this OT so I'm assuming you're not motivated to do
this in D.  If I'm wrong, then it's very much on topic, IMO.

> A ground robot would be nice too, heck that's the kind of thing
> I might be able to build entirely myself with a few motors and
> an arduino or something. But a flying drone just takes the
> coolness factor to the next level.

Totally! Programming the physical world is the coolest
programming their is. Limited space, limited memory, limited CPU
cycles, limited power, limited budget, high expectations, and
infinite possibilities. And very much multidisciplinary.

> Have any off you ever thought about this kind of thing before?
> Any suggestions on hardware or other tips to get started?

I've obviously thought about it, but it looks less like a reality
for me right now.

I received a few relevant links from our community here:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/lq3jbp$o21$1@digitalmars.com

Also, check out http://www.openpilot.org or http://ardupilot.com,
if not for their hardware and code, then for their forum and
community.  I don't participate there myself, but it looks like
the perfect place to ask such questions.

Mike