Why is `scope` planned for deprecation?

uri via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 20 01:28:38 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 19 November 2014 at 01:35:19 UTC, Alo Miehsof
Datsørg wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 November 2014 at 23:48:27 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 11/18/2014 1:23 PM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
>> <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
>>> I am arguing against the position that it was a design
>>> mistake to keep the
>>> semantic model simple and with few presumptions. On the
>>> contrary, it was the
>>> design goal. Another goal for a language like C is ease of
>>> implementation so
>>> that you can easily port it to new hardware.
>>
>> The proposals I made do not change that in any way, and if K&R
>> designed C without those mistakes, it would have not made C
>> more complex in the slightest.
>>

>>> VLAs have been available in gcc for a long time. They are not
>>> useless, I've used
>>> them from time to time.
>>
>> I know you're simply being argumentative when you defend VLAs,
>> a complex and useless feature, and denigrate simple ptr/length
>> pairs as complicated.
>
> Argumentative ?!! More like a fucking gaping fucking asshole.
> His
> posts are the blight of this group.

Wow that's uncalled for.

I don't always agree with Ola but his posts are rarely uninformed
and often backed up with actual code examples or links supoprting
his arguments. They generally lead to very interesting
discussions on the forum.

Cheers,
uri