'int' is enough for 'length' to migrate code from x86 to x64

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 21 06:54:11 PST 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 14:37:39 +0000
Araq via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> "broken" is not a black-white thing. "Works most of the time"
> surely is much more useful than "doesn't work". Otherwise you
> would throw away your phone the first time you get a busy signal.
"works most of the time" is the worst thing: the bug can be hidden for
decades and then suddenly blows up stright into your face, making you
wonder what happens with "good code".

i will chose the code which "doesn't work" over "works most of the
time" one: the first has a clearly visible problem, and the former has
a carefully hidden problem. i prefer visible problems.

btw, your phone example is totally wrong, 'case "busy" is a
well-defined state. i for sure will throw the phone away if the phone
accepts only *some* incoming calls and silently ignores some others
(without me explicitly telling it to do so, of course). that's like a
code that "works most of the time". but not in that time when they
phoning you to tell that your house is on fire.