'int' is enough for 'length' to migrate code from x86 to x64

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 21 18:07:15 PST 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:45:11 -0800
Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
wrote:

> On 11/21/14 8:57 AM, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 08:31:13 -0800
> > Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Would you agree that that would break a substantial amount of correct D
> >> code? -- Andrei
> > i don't think that code with possible int wrapping and `auto` is
> > correct, so the answer is "no". bad code must be made bad.
>
> I think you misunderstood the question. -- Andrei
i don't think so. you have two questions here: is such code correct,
and will it broke? if the answer to the first question is "no", then
the second question has no sense.

i keep thinking that such code is not correct (albeit it compiles ok),
so nothing will break.

at least this is how i understood your question. maybe you are right,
and i didn't get it.