GSOC Summer 2015 - Second call for Proposals

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 22 19:26:51 PST 2014

On Saturday, 22 November 2014 at 15:27:00 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-11-05 at 03:54 +0000, Craig Dillabaugh via
> Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
> […]
>
> Apologies for being late to reply. Long story, no sensible
> tl;dr.
>
> […]
>> Russel Winder         Phobos/QML: std.parallelism,
>> std.benchmark
> […]
>
> Not sure about Phobos here but D really does need to be able to
> connect
> to QML. This proposal is therefore to create a way of
> communicating
> between D codes and QML engines via signals and slots. The
> model here is
> the Go/QML system. It works very well, but isn't D.
>
> std.parallelism needs a review and some benchmarking, prior to
> making
> improvements: some of the things David put into it are not as
> performant
> as it would be nice for them to be. As part of this is would be
> good to
> have a standard benchmarking framework, hence the idea of
> std.benchmark.
> However there is no need for it to be in std (and hence Phobos)
> in the
> first instance. So the project(s) would be to create a
> comparative
> benchmarking framework that can then be used to analyse
> std.parallelism
> on a more scientific basis than I and others have done to date.
>
> Hopefully this is not too late and can be iterated to something
> that can
> be posted. Is the idea to have a wiki for this, or mayhap a
> Git/Mercurial/Bazaar/Fossil repository with pull requests?

We still have lots of time to flesh out ideas - things don't need
to be finalized until February.  Thanks for giving some more info
on your proposed projects.  I am sort of slow ... so if I can get
things in advance that is always good.