'int' is enough for 'length' to migrate code from x86 to x64

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 24 10:37:29 PST 2014

On Monday, 24 November 2014 at 17:55:06 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> I think the point with having compiler support is to retain
> most optimizations. The compiler select the most efficient
> representation based on the needed headroom and makes sure that
> overflow is recorded so that you can eventually respond to it.

It is also worth noting that Intel CPUs have 3 new instructions
for working with large integers:

MULX and ADCX/ADOX.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/intel-technology/ia-large-integer-arithmetic-paper.html

So there is no reason to not go for it IMO.