[OT] unbelievable: #ifdef _OTHER_LIB_H

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 26 12:06:01 PST 2014

So my computer died on me again last week and I had to buy new
hardware. I was forced to update the software to run the new
hardware... and it is painful.

I hate all software and have learned that if I want a job done
right, I have to do it myself. Rarely, I find other people's
software is OK with some slight modifications, so I try to do
that.

xterm is one example. I basically like it but it is ugly and
stupid so needs a few fixes. As such, I maintain my own private
fork of it.

I went ahead and compiled that on the new thing today.... and it
failed. wait what?!

#ifndef _XLIB_H_
#error Please include <X11/Xlib.h> before "xutf8.h"
#endif

That's in the xterm source code. Yes, it depends on the presence
of a particular include guard.

The X11 source apparently recently changed to:

#ifndef _X11_XLIB_H_
#define _X11_XLIB_H_

thereby breaking xterm... and blackbox... and who knows what
else. This one was brought to my attention thanks to the #error
directive. But there's certainly other things silently being
compiled out now, as the program does not work correctly after
fixing this.

Unbelievable.

Praise D's modules.

PS the fonts are all hideous on the new linux too. I should have
just bought a Windows license.