[OT] unbelievable: #ifdef _OTHER_LIB_H

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 26 14:33:25 PST 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 14:20:37 -0800
"H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> > The other part of my terminal emulator was also a gnu screen
> > replacement. I got it to the point where it worked pretty well... but
> > not well enough to break my inertia toward good old screen. Maybe I'll
> > revisit that too though.
>
> Ooooh, I'd love that! I do use screen a lot, but some aspects of it
> annoy me a lot. Like the non-transitivity of terminal settings, so $TERM
> doesn't get set properly, and even when it does, screen sometimes
> misinterprets sequences not meant for it. Ideally, screen (or your
> replacement thereof) should be able to detect the end user's terminal
> (even if it's proxied via ssh, etc.) and do the Right Thing(tm) on the
> server end so that applications get the right $TERM settings.
i was never big fan of screen and i never used any of it's advanced
features, so once i dumped it in favor of dtach. and now i'm really
happy, 'cause dtach does exactly what i want: allows me to detach from
console program and then attach to it again. it intercepts only one
hotkey and doesn't try to mess with escape codes at all. love it.

sure, it doesn't keep output history, you have to press something like
ctrl+l to redraw the screen in fullscreen app (if that app supports it)
and so on, but my, it's nothing compared to constant fighting with
'screen', it's configs, it's habit to steal and reinterpret escapes...

now i'm happy dtach user.