[OT] unbelievable: #ifdef _OTHER_LIB_H

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 27 10:08:57 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 02:56:48PM +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 November 2014 at 06:51:00 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> >However, I'm looking forward to voice recognition
>
> I hate voice recognition because it doesn't actually think about what
> you're saying... it is just another way to input crude information
> into the same idiotic core, and keyboard symbols are better.

+1000!! I can communicate with my computer in far more efficiently and
in a far more precise way than I can speak within the same time. I mean,
if I wanted to say:

	const(int[]) myFunc(T)(const(T)[] input) { ... }

what would I have to pronounce? "const open parenthesis int open square
bracket close square bracket close parenthesis space em why capital eff
you en see open parenthesis capital tee close parenthesis open
parenthesis const open parenthesis tee close parenthesis open square
bracket close square bracket space input close parenthesis space open
brace ..." ??

And what of Vim editing commands? "Move 5 lines down, 6 words to the
right, 2 characters to the right, substitute next 5 characters, aye bee
see dee ee, end, save file"? I could type "5j6w2l5sabcde<ESC>:wq<enter>"
in a fraction of the time.

Not to mention how many times I'd have to correct the speech recognizer
software which will inevitably get half the characters wrong because of
ambiguous pronunciation (by "queue" do you mean Q-U-E-U-E or the letter
Q?).

Please, give me a keyboard anytime.

> What would be interesting - though not something I want in the real
> world, I kinda enjoy getting my paycheck - is a voice AI like they
> have in Star Trek.
>
> "Computer, I need a terminal emulator."
>
> a few beeps, then it pops one up
>
> "No, that sucks, make the mouse wheel work."
>
> the computer beeps as it looks at existing things to figure out what
> you meant by "work" then adjusts the program
>
> Self-programming computers, now *that's* a voice interface.

Let's make one in D! ;-) *That* will be one killer app for sure!

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought
which they avoid. -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)