2 types of D users, both can live together happily if we adjust

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 27 15:22:52 PST 2014

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:58:31PM +0000, Vic via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> There are 2 users I see, those that see it as an experimental feature
> platform and those that use it for real projects (and not for
> experiments).
[...]

The thing is, based on my observations over the past few years or so
I've been here, such grand plans have often been proposed (in the best
of intentions, to be sure) but rarely carried out. The thing about D is
that if you wish to see something happen, you just have to dig in and
*do* something about it. Be the champion of whatever you propose, get on
the ground and work it out, make it happen. Contribute code. Help
improve the infrastructure. Be the change you wish to see take place.

While these forums can be quite entertaining, from my observations most
of the animated discourse ultimately results in nothing -- because
nobody actually got up to *do* something about it. The stuff that *does*
happen often happens in the background where somebody actually did the
hard work and wrote the code, pushed the PR's through to acceptance,
contributed the hardware to improve the infrastructure, etc., often with
little or no activity on the forums.  Almost all of the discussions on
the forums that have little or no code backing it up tend to just
sputter out after everyone's energy has been exhausted, and nothing
happens.

So, if you wish to see the changes you propose, I'd say your best bet is
to start *doing* something about it (besides talking about it on the
forum, that is). Remember that this is an open source project with
contributions made by volunteers; telling volunteers what to do with
their free time rarely works. Contributing real work, OTOH, tends to
catch people's attention much more effectively.

The most powerful one-line C program: #include "/dev/tty" -- IOCCC