2 types of D users, both can live together happily if we adjust

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 27 16:19:48 PST 2014

On Thursday, 27 November 2014 at 23:24:59 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> *do* something about it. Be the champion of whatever you
> propose, get on
> the ground and work it out, make it happen. Contribute code.
> Help
> improve the infrastructure. Be the change you wish to see take
> place.

Sound advice if you want a single feature, but this does not work
for restructuring and management. You cannot "commit" people into
moving in the same direction, you need to create common ground.
That takes time if there is no skilled leader to pull it through.

> While these forums can be quite entertaining, from my
> observations most
> of the animated discourse ultimately results in nothing --
> because
> nobody actually got up to *do* something about it.

I disagree, intelligent people pick up the arguments even though
they may not like them at the time they face them. These
arguments eventually move up through their brainstem if they are
good at learning (I think most programmers are good at that). By
iterating over the most problematic issues you get many
viewpoints and a new direction might emerge over time (measured
in years, not weeks).

The @nogc focus got in by "external" advocacy. It did take some
noise, but it got in.

> So, if you wish to see the changes you propose, I'd say your
> best bet is
> to start *doing* something about it

In this case it actually means refactoring the compiler codebase,
which will by necessity lead to a fork if this is not wanted by
the main developers as it will break up their existing mental
model of the program.