[OT] unbelievable: #ifdef _OTHER_LIB_H

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 28 11:55:16 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 09:47:24PM +0200, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:34:20 +0000
> "Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
> > On Friday, 28 November 2014 at 19:16:28 UTC, ketmar via
> > Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > > ah, yes. i don't think about that, but you are right: typing for
> > > two hours is ok
> >
> > I don't really agree, if I were to type for nonstop for two hours,
> > I'd be in a world of pain.
> >
> > Talking for two hours hurts too, but typing can bring all kinds of
> > RSI to the wrist and such. I rarely go for that long if I can avoid
> > it just as a preventative measure.
>
> just don't let your hands hang off the table. at least this was what
> works for me and now i can type all day long (with occasional "drop
> the water out of fingers" gesture once in a several hours).

I always push the keyboard far back on the desk so that I can rest my
entire forearm on the desk as I type. The common keyboard-drawer setup
that most office desks come with is actually extremely evil, because it
forces you to sit for long hours with your arms curled up in an
unnaturally tight position against your body. It gives me wrist and
shoulder/neck pain after just 1/2 hour.

> ah, and kill "notebook keyboards", they sux. the best keyboard is
> mechanical one (biased opinion!), but keyboard with distinct keys and
> good feedback is fine too.

Yeah, notebook keyboards force your hands too close together for
comfort, and your wrists will not survive the ordeal for long. Besides,
notebook screens are generally too small to place too far away, so that
also constrains how far away you can put the keyboard, which in turn
constraints how relaxed your forearms can be while you type. IOW, it's
convenient for travelling, but bad for long-term use.

[...]
> ah, and most important thing: throw your mouse out of the window and
> made keypad and arrow keys non-functional, so your hands will never
> move out of the main part of the keyboard.

Ratpoison ftw!!! :-P

> sure, we have similar technics for speaking, but even using that i
> found that long speeches are painfull. taking into account that i'm
> speaking almost from my birth and start typing much-much later... no,
> i still prefer typing. ;-)

Speaking is far more tiring than typing IME. I can answer emails all day
but I'd have a sore throat and a headache if I were to talk the same
amount. Of course, if I were to use webmail, then the headache would set
in much earlier than when speaking... but with ratpoison + mutt, and a
keyboard that's placed an appropriate distance *far back* on the desk, I
can easily type all day without fatigue.

Many open minds should be closed for repairs. -- K5 user