Phobos - breaking existing code

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 28 15:33:51 PST 2014

Just for fun, I've decided to try and get MicroEmacs in D added to the dub
registry. The last time it compiled was 2 years ago.

I wound up with at least a dozen references to Phobos names that have
disappeared. No corrective action was indicated, just "undefined symbol". I have
to go refigure out what the code was trying to do, and go poking through the
Phobos documentation to see what will work today.

I know there's been a lot of "break my code" advocacy lately, but this code was
only 2 years old.

I fully understand how unfriendly this is to users and how discouraging it can
be to have their recently working code shattered and scattered. We need to do a
lot better.