Phobos - breaking existing code

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 28 19:22:31 PST 2014

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 02:59:05 +0000
Mike via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Speculation without measurement.  But I'll have you know my usage
> of D has declined significantly because it is missing features I
> want/need.  It is also for this reason that I have not advocated
> its usage to my employer.
same for me. i was gently pushing our development team towards D (heh,
and i'm in position to do that) but now i put a veto on D (yet i'm
still using heavily patched D for my own pet projects and have no plans
to change that). contrary to what one may think i did that not for code
breakage, but due to the developers that continuously rejecting to break
our code. we already has the language which is riddled by legacy crap,
there is no need to introduce another one.

as for now i see that "don't break the code" policy is:
a. not working, as the code still breaks.
b. turning off developers that want a language without legacy crap.
c. not attracting new users to D: new users has no code, so there is
nothing to break yet.

as for libraries: having native D libraries is good, but not really
necessary, 'cause it's not that hard to create imports for C libraries,
and we have ALOT of C libraries out here. what is *really* matters is
having consistent and solid language to build our code base upon. and a
language that progressively dropping legacy leftovers in favor of new
and/or better designed features.