Phobos - breaking existing code

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 28 20:03:44 PST 2014

On 11/28/2014 7:42 PM, Mike wrote:
> Walter, I want you to know, that I love D.  It is an awesome language with
> enormous potential.  But it needs to break with a few of the decisions from the
> past (very few, but significant), and follow through on a few things (like the
> scope ref proposals).  IMO, it's *almost* there.  If I(we) can ever get it
> there, it will likely be the last language I ever use.

Actually, we've (myself and 3 others) been hard at work preparing a scope ref
proposal. It isn't quite ready to present yet. I agree it is of major
importance. It will also slightly break some code, but we have a plan for
dealing with that to make it as painless as possible. I believe that scope ref
is a big enough win to justify it.

What I don't agree with are changing names of things that just cause needless
frustration, and are, as I tactlessly put it, an illusion of progress.