Phobos - breaking existing code

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 28 20:22:50 PST 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 20:03:44 -0800
Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> What I don't agree with are changing names of things that just cause needless
> frustration, and are, as I tactlessly put it, an illusion of progress.
it seems to me that you are very pragmatic person (in a good sense) and
with all your expiriense in software development you are
underestimating the influense of "cosmetic changes", such as better
naming. you are used to "fnmatch" and you don't care if it stays as is
or not, so why bother to change? but for heterogeneous teams where we
have both expirienced developers and juniors naming matters. it's much
easier to read and to remember what 'globMatch' do than what 'fnmatch'
do. i, for myself, knowing that function for years still confused a
little trying to understand what it has with "function matching". and
only after some pause i remembers that it's "filename matching".

the same for the things i'm constantly ranting about: "just remember
it" for such things is not good. people keep asking me "why?" and all i
can answer is "this is the way of the things. just remember it and
don't question."