std.experimental.logger formal review round 3

Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 29 06:12:15 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 14:29:12 UTC, ponce wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 01:12:03 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 11/24/2014 4:51 PM, Brian Schott wrote:

>>> You are posting to page 16 of the third iteration of a single
>>> review.
>>
>> I know, and the reddit comment refers to this.
>
> This discussion is indeed most unsettling to read. Third review
> of a much-needed module in the ecosystem, and I remember of
> previous attempts at logging, each time taken down because it
> does not satisfy the whims of top-tier D developers that would
> have done it differently (and of course "better").

Things in phobos just have to sit, we already carry around too
many crap modules (signals, XML, curl).

> What is accepted or not in Phobos no longer interest me. I can
> rely on interesting modules through DUB which has versionned
> dependencies, while Phobos has not.

That's a good thing because a package system can cover different
needs with much more variety.

> Better XML parsers/JSON parsers/serialization/argument parsers
> exist outside of Phobos currently, and in my opinion maybe they
> didn't belong there in the first place.

I partly agree with this, having certain things covered by 3-rd
party libraries allows for faster iteration. Something shpuld
only become a Phobos module if there can be definite design which
is paired with a very good implementation.