[OT] unbelievable: #ifdef _OTHER_LIB_H

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 29 08:10:53 PST 2014

On 11/26/2014 05:20 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> (most websites suck so bad with a
> non-GUI interface it's not even funny... gone are the days when most of
> the content of a webpage is useful information, nowadays finding
> information is like finding a needle in a haystack of fluff and
> eye-candy -- but that belongs in another rant :-P)

Hear Hear! Web devs and online content providers alike seem far more
interested in developing god-awful interfaces to wrap their content with
then actually providing content. The web isn't about content anymore,
it's just about JS/HTML m*sterbation and fondling the latest fadwords.
(I really, genuinely, wish those people would leave the industry and
move to the fashion world where they clearly belong.)

I long time ago, there was a hacker/coder/something like that e-zine
that didn't come in an actual document format, but came as an EXE, with
the content baked directly into their own [shitty] viewer.

I thought that was the dumbest idea ever, and figured that alone
guaranteed it would never reach 90% of the audience it deserved to reach
(some of the content was kinda interesting).

But amazingly, *EVERYTHING* works that way now. Well, except that the
exe-zine actually performed well and didn't demand to soak up every last
drop of memory and CPU from 64-bit multi-core (of which none existed
anyway).

> or doing image/video editing (though even
> that is mostly scriptable thanks to imagemagick).

Or AviSynth (not that I've really done much with either).

> Supposedly that's "more productive",
> though I'm honestly baffled how anyone could believe that.

iOS and Android conclusively prove that people have NO comprehension
whatsoever of what "easy to use" means. They're easy to *LEARN*[1]. It
amazes me that people have become so stupid they no longer know the
difference between "learning" and "using".

[1] Although, a large part of those things being "easy to learn" is
simply because they take a page out of the salesman's handbook and
cleverly avoid calling them what they are: "computers". Instead, they
trick people into *not* compulsively shutting their brains off and
conveniently "forgetting" basic literacy (as people do with alarming
frequency) by waving around the bullshit of "Oh, it's not a 'computer'!
It's a 'telephone'!"  "Oh, really? I know how to use a phone! So with
this wondrously genius iPhone, now I *don't* have to deliberately shut
my brain off and pretend to be a drooling illiterate retard!...Wow, look
at that! Now that I'm *not* feigning retardation, it's become so easy to
use, even though nothing is discoverable or even readable without a
rosetta stone and a microscope, none of the input works reliably, none
of the software works like any of the other software, and it now takes
twice as long to accomplish half as much! Amazing!" Goddamn morons.