Phobos - breaking existing code

Vic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 29 09:11:54 PST 2014

On Saturday, 29 November 2014 at 11:37:52 UTC, bearophile wrote:
<snip>

> Some of this "hibernation" could be caused by the latest
> "revolution" threads by Andrei. But probably there are also
> other causes.

<snip>

Yes, Andrei's ref counting and C++ compatibility, etc.

There are choices in debate to push:
a) Make D small system lang.
b) or Keep D large
I say there is more choices:
c) Both! Split it like linux: kernal and GNU. kernal is of no use
w/ out cd and cat, etc.
This way people like Andrei can help even people that use D on
real projects. In C++ we have active downstream, ex:
http://pocoproject.org/features.html. D gets stronger because of
Vibe.d. That can be encourage by spliting/reducing D 'core' to be
near useless, w/o a lib for key needed features that are in
pre-compiler and downstream ecosystem.
Win/win. Andrei's of the world could and should be encouraged as
the 'GNU' of D. I am saying 90% of 'D' should be in 'Andrei'
domain and all the sacred cows.
I'd call the non-core 'D' 'frontal lobe', the part that thinks
and D 'core' the 'lizard brain' that is just primitive/visceral.

Else the endless debate of large vs small.
I say both.

Cheers,
Vic