2 types of D users, both can live together happily if we adjust

Vic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 29 09:26:29 PST 2014

On Friday, 28 November 2014 at 23:06:15 UTC, Mike wrote:
> On Friday, 28 November 2014 at 20:20:55 UTC, ketmar via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
>> this has an easy solution: just stick with the chosen D
>> version: nobody forces anyone to upgrade.
>
> Amen.

Here is the problem w/ that:
Lets stay that we use GDC (because of debugger) equivalent of D
2.066(or whatever) for ~ year.

In essence, we check out of the D community. And when we come
back, we find that the D community pool has not grown (due to
some of the challenges we found). This means our project is not
developed in an unsupported language, and we have to port.
(In forums I see maintainers talking about GC in core. I think
that hooks for ref. counting should be in core, but move the
implementation for the average case downstream. Plus many other
things. To me, as a manager, figure out what your resources to be
good at it, and no more).
I want to D, and the only way I see that is smaller D and the
only way I see that is via a split so that the pool can grow.

Cheers,
Vic