Phobos - breaking existing code

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 30 07:36:17 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 12:15:48PM +0000, Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I've just made xmlp (http://www.dsource.org/projects/xmlp) compile
> with the newest version of D. It wasn't that bad, despite xmlp rotting
> for two years with merge markers left in it. However what would have
> made this even easier, would be
>
> a) a summary for each release called "How this version breaks your
> code and how to fix it". Don't need that for library changes, language
> changes are enough.

I thought dlang.org already has a page that lists language & library
changes for each of the recent releases? Those lists tend to be pretty
long, though, which means people aren't likely to actually read it all.
I wonder if there are other ways of navigating them so that they are
actaully useful.

> b) easy access to older versions of the documentation. When you have a
> deprecated and subsequently removed function, you should at least be
> able to lookup what the code was supposed to do.
[...]

Good idea! We should archive docs from older versions of Phobos and make
them accessible on dlang.org. I'm working on revamping some parts of the
Phobos docs build; once that's in, it might not be too hard to make it
also generate docs for older releases.

What do you call optometrist jokes? Vitreous humor.