[Semi OT] Language for Game Development talk

currysoup via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 1 08:38:43 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 1 October 2014 at 15:17:33 UTC, po wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 October 2014 at 14:16:38 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>> Max Klyga:
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH9VCN6UkyQ
>>
>> A third talk (from another person) about related matters:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0ItVEVjHc
>>
>> He doesn't use RTTI, exceptions, multiple inheritance, STL,
>> templates, and lot of other C++ stuff. On the other hand he
>> writes data-oriented code manually, the compiler and language
>> give him only very limited help, and the code he writes looks
>> twiddly and bug-prone. So why aren't they designing a language
>> without most of the C++ stuff they don't use, but with
>> features that help them write the data-oriented code they need?
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
>  He (deliberately I'd guess)conflates cache friendly data
> structures and access patterns with his particular preference
> for a C style.
>
>  It is a fallacy that he presents as fact.
>
>  The key to these type of fast code isn't the C style, it is
> the contiguous data layout, and cache friendly access patterns,
> both of which are easily enough to perform in modern C++.

OOP style and AoS in general does cause cache unfriendly data
access. You can separate out your hot and cold data but at that
point you're not really programming in an OO style. He doesn't
use RTTI, templates, exceptions, etc. for different reasons than
cache friendliness.

At what point does he say it's difficult to code in a SoA style
in C++? He clearly states he sees no advantage to C++ over C.