How to build phobos docs for dlang.org

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 1 10:22:03 PDT 2014

On 10/1/14, 10:11 AM, Mark Isaacson wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 October 2014 at 09:00:51 UTC, Robert burner Schadek wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 1 October 2014 at 06:29:46 UTC, Mark Isaacson wrote:
>>
>>> I hereby volunteer to document whatever answer I am given.
>>
>> already done http://wiki.dlang.org/Building_DMD#Building_the_Docs
>
> I saw this yesterday and followed the instructions but was unable to get
> it to work. At a minimum, the first 'make' does not do anything and the
> 'generated/linux/default' directory does not exist.

I think I fixed that a while ago; "default" was a mistake.

> I see
> 'generated/linux/64' instead if I use the posix.mak file. If I proceed
> using that directory instead, I end up with the same problem: Now when I
> run the phobos html build it does format everything in the dlang.org
> colors, but I'm still missing std_container.html.

I think for a while now Phobos documentation has been produced as part
of building dlang.org (which itself is right now difficult to build
without babysitting for unrelated reasons). So building Phobos docs
straight from Phobos might have some bit rot.

We should sort this out when I get back in a Facebook chat. I recommend
you start with phobos/posix.mak and build from there. Take a white box
approach - open posix.mak in an editor and see what happens when you
build "html". You'll see where the generated docs go (I think in a dir
called "web" that is configurable by choosing DOC_OUTPUT_DIR. Doing so
is easy from the outside:

make html DOC_OUTPUT_DIR=/tmp/wtf

Andrei