RFC: moving forward with @nogc Phobos

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 1 13:56:33 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 1 October 2014 at 17:13:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 10/1/14, 8:48 AM, Oren Tirosh wrote:
>> Bingo. Have some way to mark the function return type as a
>> unique
>> pointer.
>
> I'm skeptical about this approach (though clearly we need to
> explore it for e.g. passing ownership of data across threads).
> For strings and other "casual" objects I think we should focus
> on GC/RC strategies. This is because people do things like:
>
> auto s = setExtension(s1, s2);
>
> and then attempt to use s as a regular variable (copy it etc).
> Making s unique would make usage quite surprising and
> cumbersome.

Sure? I already showed in an example how it is possible to chain
calls seamlessly that return unique objects. The users would only
notice it when they are trying to make a real copy (i.e. not
borrowing). Do you think this happens frequently enough to be of
concern?